COST SAVING TIPS
COST SAVING TIPS
10 Minute Pre-Trip Checkup Can Pay Off
A properly maintained vehicle is safer and more dependable and will even save a few dollars at the gas pumps. Motorists should plan ahead to allow time to perform necessary maintenance themselves or at the local service facility.
Car Care Council offers three suggestions for a traveler's 10-minute pre- trip checklist:
- Check all fluids - There are several fluids that require attention: Engine Oil, power steering, brake and transmission fluids, and windshield washer solvent and antifreeze/coolant.
- Check all hoses and belts - A belt failure can affect the electrical system, air conditioning, power steering, and the cooling system. Cooling system hoses may be deteriorating from within, so old hoses and clamps in marginal condition might need to be replaced.
- Check the tires - Check tire inflation and inspect the tread for uneven wear, indicating the need for wheel alignment. Also look for bulges and bald spots.
Follow these tips to maximize fuel efficiency of your vehicle:
- Vehicle gas caps - about 17% of the vehicles on the roads have gas caps that are either damaged, loose or missing altogether, causing 147 million gallons of gas to vaporize every year.
- Under inflated tires - when tires aren't inflated properly it's like driving with a parking brake on. It can cost a mile or two per gallon.
- Worn spark plugs - A vehicle can have either four, six or eight spark plugs, which fire as many as 3 million times every 1,000 miles, resulting in electrical and chemical erosion from heat.
- Dirty air filters - A clogged air filter creates a "rich" mixture - the proportion of gas to air is incorrect. This wastes fuel and causes the engine to lose power. Replacing a clogged air filter can improve gas mileage by as much as 10%.
- Don't drive aggresively - Aggressive driving can lower gas mileage by as much as 33% on the highway and 5% on city streets.
- Avoid excessive idling - sitting idle gets zero miles per gallon. Letting the vehicle warm up for one to two minutes is sufficient.
- Drive the speed limit - Gas mileage decreases rapidly at speeds above 60 mph. Each mile driven over 60 results in an additional 10 cents per gallon. Increase fuel efficiency by using cruise control.
Was on a trip from FL to OH and heard some very concerning noises coming from my car with no way to diagnose on my own. They inspected my vehicle and recommended that I get new brakes. I told them I have a local mechanic in OH that I prefer to work with. They assured me that I was more than safe to get home and have the repair made there. They gave me peace of mind when they could have taken advantage of me and said they needed to be replaced on the spot. They also helped tuck a few wires as a courtesy that were exposed and hanging from my car from a bad trailer hitch installation. All around great experience. Juan was very helpful and honest and I would highly recommend Leo's!
This place is great. Great service. They have integrity so they aren't going to try to extort you like some auto places. Highly recommend.
Excelente servicio y muy profesionales. El trato al cliente es excepcional recomendado 100%. Me atendió Joaquin un hombre muy profesional, educado y amable. Te hace sentir en familia. Me explico todo el procedimiento que le realizaría a mi auto. Quede encantada. Todos los empleados muy amables y sobre todo profesionales. Te hablan con la verdad y se puede observar que cuando trabajan con un auto saben lo que están haciendo.
Cyd Marie Alvarez, 11/19/2021